Real estate is the go-to investment for those who aspire high. It is a big-ticket investment for those few who have loads of patience, having large funds to invest, and forget after investing. If you dare to try it out but have no clue how to go about it, let’s offer some help. Don’t burn the midnight oil thinking about how to invest in real estate. No need to get worked up. We have compiled all the important questions you need to ask the real estate agent before putting down your money.
It is a no-brainer that investing money in real estate is a time-tested method to create wealth in the long term. But you need to make some incisive assessments before jumping in with your money.
The basic principle of investing in real estate is buying cheap and selling at an appreciated price. But you need to spend some time to know the property market where you are investing in. There is no factory-made plan for investing in real estate. It is a unique field, and each investor has different techniques to invest in real estate.
Let’s Explore the Top 6 Questions to Ask Before Investing in Real Estate:
1. Do I Have Enough Money to Invest in Real Estate Property?
This is the first question you should ask your real estate agent and yourself. If you want to invest in the real estate market, you need to know whether you have the funds needed for real estate investment. Real estate is a big-ticket investment and involves a large sum of money.
A real estate agent can give you an estimate of the fund you need to invest, to begin with, and how much more you need to garner to complete the deal. We would like to tell you a little secret here. Even if you don’t have the initial amount, you can still invest in real estate.
Here are a few ideas you can explore:
A. Seller financing
Also called owner financing. In this process, the seller/owner arranges the mortgage loan for the buyer like a bank or a financial institution would.
B. Lease option
The owner leases out the house to the tenant. The tenant can purchase the leased property by paying throughout the leasing period.
The buyer who is short of funds can form partnerships with experienced and financially stronger investors. The buyer in partnership can invest in real estate.
D. Home equity loan
When you own a house, you earn home equity. The amount of equity depends on how much of the mortgage you paid off. You can take a home equity loan to invest in another property. The home equity loan amount is the difference between the current price of your property and the debt you have on your loan. If your house is worth $500000 and the loan/debt amount is $300000. The bank might consider giving you some percentage of your home equity earned as a loan. Here, it is $200000.
You may leverage the above methods if you are short of cash to carry out the initial investment in real estate.
2. What strategy should I use for real estate investment?
As a beginner, you may get perplexed about the investment strategies. It is a two-step procedure. First, you need to figure out the sum of money required to meet your investment requirements. Second, find out a strategy for your investments.
Remember, real estate is a long-term investment, and you need to plan accordingly. You can choose from the common real estate investment strategies explained below:
- Buy Property: Buy a primary residence and wait for a substantial capital appreciation.
- Flipping property: You can renovate a property that has a good selling potential and then sell it for a handsome margin.
- Invest in rental property: You will be in better control of your investment if you invest in rental property in a decent neighborhood. You may buy properties with a good rental prospect.
- Pre-sale condo assignment: In this investment strategy, you can sell your rights to a finished condo to another buyer before you build the condo.
- Rent a part of your property: You can rent out additional room or space and make some extra cash.
3. Do I need a real estate agent to buy a property?
Real estate agents are professionals in their fields with adept skills, knowledge, and experience. They can benefit you by getting the best deal on a property. You can still buy a house in Canada without involving a real estate agent to save the money that goes as commission.
Real estate agents charge commissions on the deal which can vary between 3% and 7% of the sale price. If you decide to sell your home or property without involving a real estate agent, you may save a substantial amount of money that goes as their commission.
But these agents have access to a wide pool of potential buyers that you can take advantage of while selling a property. So, it is up to you to decide if you want to hire a real estate agent or go solo. Sometimes, for a hassle-free experience, you may buy the services of a professional real estate agent.
4. How do I determine the accurate value of a property?
Before you invest your money in the real estate market, you need to ask how you can determine the accurate value of a property to ensure you are not overpaying.
You can determine the value of your property using the following methods:
- Cash on cash return: Calculate the cash income earned on investing in a property.
- Capitalization rate: Rate of return (ROR)/Rate on investment (ROI) that is most likely to be achieved on the real estate investment.
- Annual net operating income: Calculate the value of revenue that the real estate investment can create.
- Replacement cost method: The amount of money that you would need to replace the existing house with a new one.
5. By What Time Can I Get Return from My Property?
You have invested in real estate to get a good return on investment (ROI). Real estate investment may not make you wealthy in a fortnight or a few months but pays off in the long run. If you want to see your property gaining valuable returns, then you need to enjoy the momentum and keep patience. Chart out a time plan to achieve your goal and work accordingly.
6. How can I maximize my profits from the property investment?
When purchasing a property, you need to know how to maximize your profits. Purchase a property and wait for the appreciation, it may take several years but worth waiting. If you realize that the price has reached its peak and it will increase at a slower rate or may even decrease, that is the time you should contemplate selling it off at the best market price.
According to Forbes, you can add to the value of your investment by:
- Increasing the rent on your investment property to gain more revenue.
- Luring potential buyers to your property by providing value-added services, such as laundry facilities.
- Staying on top of routine maintenance.
There are plenty of techniques to learn when you are preparing to invest in real estate property. You can make the most out of your property if you plan your investment wisely and display loads of patience. We have equipped you with a list of questions to help in your real estate investment endeavors.
Take your time and evaluate your plan, and if you have any queries, consider us for your aid. And if you don’t have enough cash to invest in real estate, read “Ways to Investing in Real Estate with No Money”.